The Frances M. Maguire Hall Project
The Maguire Foundation has generously given $10 million to Woodmere Art Museum for St. Michael’s Hall - funding a major improvement to the institution and prompting it to rename the historic building the Frances M. Maguire Hall for Art and Education.
Woodmere first learned that the Sisters of Saint Joseph intended to sell the former Saint Michael’s Hall in March 2021, and by October 2021 had raised the money to both buy and maintain this historic structure and its beautiful grounds.
This gift from the Maguire Foundation, coupled with other generous gifts from the community, will fund renovation plans that include turning the spacious parlors and bedrooms of the 19th-century mansion into galleries for the museum’s permanent collection of works by Philadelphia’s artists, as well as a hands-on children’s art & education center, a museum café, and public programming spaces.
Woodmere’s Director and CEO Bill Valerio states that “This gift is transformative. Woodmere’s holdings of over 9,000 works stand as one of the important collections of American art, and this will become evident as never before.”
“Most of the 17,000 square feet of the new building will be galleries and public spaces, and the new Love Kids Art Center will also be a game-changer, expanding our capacity to serve Philadelphia’s schoolchildren and families.”
Dedicated galleries in Frances M. Maguire Hall will present the collection’s strengths in 20th-century art, including American Impressionism and Modernism as they evolved in Philadelphia, as well as the ongoing reinterpretations of figurative realism. The expansion enables Woodmere to exhibit great masterpieces that generally remain inaccessible and in storage, including many important works by Violet Oakley and the Red Rose Girls. Woodmere’s important collections of Hudson River paintings and 19th-century art, as well as special exhibitions, will remain in Woodmere’s main building.
Stay tuned as this exciting project continues to unfold!
To watch other recorded presentations about the Frances M. Maguire Hall project, visit our YouTube channel.
Support Frances M. Maguire Hall
Should you wish to make a gift towards Frances M. Maguire Hall please use the form below to pay by credit card, or send a check payable to Woodmere Art Museum with the note "Frances M. Maguire Hall".
If you wish to make a pledged gift towards Frances M. Maguire Hall, please contact Anne Standish at email@example.com for more information.
- Old Estate in Chestnut Hill Saved with Artful Intervention (Hidden City Philadelphia)
- Woodmere Museum gets its largest gift ever to renovate a mansion (WHYY)
- Woodmere Art Museum receives $10 million gift that will allow display of its full collection for the first time (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
- Major gift for Woodmere renames St. Michael's Hall (Chestnut Hill Local)
- Woodmere details its vision for St. Michael's Hall (Chestnut Hill Local)
- Reimagining Woodmere (Chestnut Hill Local)
- Conservancy Recognizes Woodmere with Inaugural Sustainable Stewardship Award (Chestnut Hill Local)
- Value and Vulnerability: The Chestnut Hill Conservancy Looks Back at 2021 (Chestnut Hill Local)
- Woodmere design team shares vision for St. Michael's Hall property (Chestnut Hill Local)
- On the Market: Chestnut Hill College's St. Michael's Hall Has Woodmere Art Museum Showing Interest (Montco Today)
- A grand Chestnut Hill home-turned-convent could become part of Woodmere (WHYY)
- Woodmere seeks support to add to $3.2 million for St. Michael's Fund (Chestnut Hill Local)
- The remarkable trees of St. Michael's Hall (Chestnut Hill Local)
- A conversation with Sister Karen Dietrich as Woodmere raises funds for St. Michael's Hall (Chestnut Hill Local)
- The benefits of preserving St. Michael's Hall (Chestnut Hill Local)
- FOW director makes the environmental case for Woodmere's St. Michael's Hall plan (Chestnut Hill Local)
- Saint Michael's Hall: A house with three stories (Chestnut Hill Local)
- Woodmere mobilizes to acquire, save historic Germantown Ave. home (Chestnut Hill Local)
Woodmere Art Museum staff, Board of Trustees, supporters, planners, and friends gathered THURSDAY, November 30, 2023, for the Groundbreaking Ceremony of the Frances M. Maguire Hall for Art and Education. In attendance (pictured from left to right): Chris Maguire; Mary Ann Boyer; Jamie Maguire; Woodmere Art Museum Board President James Alexandre; Franny Glomb; Woodmere Art Museum Director and CEO William Valerio; Maguire Foundation President and CEO Megan Maguire Nicoletti; Maguire Foundation Founder and Chairman James J. Maguire, Sr.; PA State Rep Tarik Khan; Matthew Baird, Baird Architects; Woodmere Art Museum Director of Institutional Advancement Anne Standish; Jeff Krieger, Krieger & Associates Architects, Inc.; Darren Damone, Andropogon; and Jane Sullivan, The Sullivan Company.