Raymond Theel painted through the first half of the twentieth century and is admired for his ‘large-scale’ landscape paintings and experimentation with heavy applications of paint. He attended the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in the first decade of the twentieth century and his teachers were Cecilia Beau, Violet Oakley, Henry McCarter and Daniel Garber. He was a two-time recipient of the Academy’s prestigious Cresson Memorial Travel Scholarship.
Theel lived in Jarrettown, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania and he supported himself as a graphic designer and billboard painter working for N.W. Ayer, Philadelphia's great advertising agency. A fire in 1943 destroyed most of his paintings, making his work extremely rare and greatly prized. Woodmere is fortunate to have this and several other painting by the artist in its collection; he is also represented in the Philadelphia Museum of Art.